E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Systems in Nursing
Information Systems in Nursing
Write 3–5 pages in which you discuss how a current information system used in the delivery of patient care contributes to improved patient outcomes.
In using information system technology, nurses are able to track and measure data to improve patient outcomes.
Competency 1: Describe the importance of effective scholarship and evidence-based information to advance the profession of nursing.By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Describe how an information system used in nursing contributes to evidence-based nursing practices.
- Competency 2: Identify strategies and best practices for using informatics in nursing and health care.
- Describe how a nurse researcher uses information technology to define patient safety within the context of outcomes.
- Competency 3: Explain the use of information management tools and technologies to monitor and improve health care delivery and patient outcomes.
- Describe how nurse leaders and nurse informaticists use technology and evidence-based practice to contribute to improved patient outcomes.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with the expectations of a nursing professional.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Continued rapid changes in information technology reflect significant progress in health care delivery and the practice of nursing. The use of patient monitoring devices, robotics, electronic medical records, data management resources, and ready access to current science are a few examples of how technology is used in providing care to patients across multiple settings.How technology will continue to interface with nursing care, research, and future practice is significant to advancing the profession and maintaining high quality of care standards and delivery.The following search terms relate to nursing informatics and evidence-based practice. Keeping an eye on them will help the nurse informatics practitioner stay up to date about current trends and applications of technology:
- Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Programs.
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Office for Civil Rights – A Healthcare Provider’s Guide to the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
- Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act (PSQIA).
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
Consider the following questions from the point of view of a specific organization:
- Technologies used for direct care:
- How are data used to improve patient outcomes?
- How does technology contribute to safety and quality of care in this setting?
- Technologies used for data management:
- How are data tracked, monitored, stored, or trended in your data management system?
- How is technology used for data archiving and retrieval?
- Reliability and safeguards:
- How do you know your data are reliable?
- What types of safeguards are in place to protect patient data?
- How are data extracted and used for research endeavors in your organization?
- What are examples of how nurses at the bedside are involved in technology design and testing in your organization? In other organizations? How might you do it differently?
- Technology and professional development:
- What are the challenges for successful implementation of new technologies in health care environment and nursing practices—in general? Specific to your organization?
- If you had the power to improve the way technology is used in your organization, what you would like to see changed or enhanced?
Write an essay in which you analyze an information system for its effectiveness in improving patient care.
Select an example of a current information system used in the delivery of patient care. Note: Ideally, select a system from your workplace to examine. If you are not currently working, select a system from an organization close to where you live. This technology should be used for data management designed to improve patient care.Familiarize yourself with the technology. Do some personal research to gain a deeper understanding about the technology. Visit the Web site of the company who markets the technology to familiarize with how the company positions the technology in the market. Read articles online and in the library related to your chosen system. Remember to take notes to keep track of what you discover. Examine the following aspects of the technology:
- How is the information system designed to contribute to safety and quality in the care of patients?
- What types of data are tracked, monitored, stored, and trended in the system?
- How well does it accomplish what it is designed to do in your chosen real-world setting?
- How is this information system used to support research? If it is not currently being used to support research, how could it be used in the future?
- What types of opportunities are available for nurses, in any scope of practice, that gives them the chance to participate in the design and testing of this system?
- How might the technology be enhanced so it better meets the needs of the professionals currently using the system?
Compare what you learn with how your chosen technology is being used in the workplace. Think about your own workplace and consider speaking with other professionals who currently use the system.
Write an essay in which you discuss what you have learned about how your chosen information system is used in the delivery of patient care and how it contributes (or does not contribute) to improved patient care. Include the following categories:
- Describe your chosen information system and its intended role in improving patient care.
- Explain why you chose to examine this particular system.
- Capture in 1 or 2 sentences the main point of what you learned and your personal opinion of this system based on what you learned.
- Support your main point with subpoints that include examples and supporting evidence that address each of the six points listed above under the Preparation heading. Be sure to cite expert opinions and evidence where appropriate.
- Include a concluding statement. Offer ideas, concepts, or activities that nurses, in any scope of practice, might want to consider that could improve how they could use this system to improve patient care.
- Written communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Format resources and citations according to current APA style and formatting guidelines. Include the following:
- Title page.
- Running head (a short title that appears on every page).
- Title on the first page of text.
- Level 1 headings for paper sections.
- In-text parenthetical citations and a reference list.
- Number of resources: Cite a minimum of four peer-reviewed resources.
- Length: Submit 3–5 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Use Times New Roman, 12 point
Your assignment woes ends here!
Who We Are
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Do you handle any type of coursework?
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
Is it hard to Place an Order?
1. Click on the “Order Now ” on the main Menu and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the “PAPER INFORMATION” section and the system will calculate your order price/cost.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
100% Reliable Site. Make this your Home of Academic Papers.
Always Order High-Quality Academic Papers from HERE
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
We will process your orders through multiple stages and checks to ensure that what we are delivering to you, in the end, is something that is precise as you envisioned it. All of our essay writing service products are 100% original, ensuring that there is no plagiarism in them. The sources are well-researched and cited so that it is interesting. Our goal is to help as many students as possible with their assignments, i.e. our prices are affordable and services premium.
Your assignment woes ends here!