E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Moral Dilemmas and Ethical Decisions
Moral Dilemmas and Ethical Decisions
Your supervisor has asked you to do a 15-minute oral presentation at a staff meeting about a recent issue that occurred at another hospital in town. Following an industrial accident, two patients arrived at the emergency room of that hospital at the same time, presenting with very similar inhalation injuries. The hospital received a great deal of negative press due to how the patients were triaged in the ER. Your supervisor would like you to use the specifics of this case to review triage procedures and best practices at your facility. Here are the details:
- One is a 32-year-old firefighter, Frank Jeffers, who is presenting with respiratory difficulties that he obtained while evacuating victims of an industrial accident. He is a married homeowner and father of two young boys. He has lived in the community all his life. He has full and comprehensive health insurance through his employer.
- The other is Brent Damascus, a 58-year-old man. Brent is presenting with respiratory difficulties with the same intensity as Mr. Jeffers above. He is well known at the hospital emergency room, as he is a frequent visitor with various complaints, including asthma, headaches, and tremors. He is homeless, unemployed, and uninsured. He stays many nights at the YMCA and eats lunch at the soup kitchen. He has lived in the community for over 10 years and has been arrested several times for petty theft.
Search the Capella library and the Internet for scholarly and professional peer-reviewed articles on best practices in triage nursing. You will need at least three articles to use as support for your work on this assessment.
Create a 15-minute presentation (3–4 pages) that examines the moral and ethical issues that occurred when triaging these two patients and the best practices for managing this in the future.
Divide your draft into a number of talking points that you can summarize neatly. Keep in mind that an oral presentation requires slightly different language than an essay. The aim is to communicate your message so keep sentences simple and focus on the key points you want to deliver. Address the following in your presentation:
- Explain the health care policies and protocols that are in place that direct triage care in an emergency situation.
- Explain how health care disparities impact treatment decisions.
- Identify the health care policies that are in place that direct care for uninsured individuals. Is there a difference in how these individuals are triaged?
- Describe the moral and ethical challenges nurses can face when following hospital policies and protocols. Is there a conflict when a severely injured person is also uninsured?
- Recommend evidence-based strategies that should be applied for managing the care of uninsured and indigent population.
Your presentation should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- References: Include a reference section with a minimum of three references; a majority of these should be peer-reviewed sources. All resources should have been published within the last 5 years.
- APA format: Resources and citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Length: 3–4 typed, double-spaced pages, excluding title page and reference page. Use Microsoft Word to complete the assessment.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Tingle, J., & Cribb, A. (Eds.). (2014). Nursing law and ethics(4th ed.). Somerset, NJ: John Wiley & Sons.
- Cranmer, P., & Nhemachena, J. (2013). Ethics for nurses: Theory and practice. Maidenhead, UK: Open University Press.
- Aacharya, R. P., Gastmans, C., & Denier, Y. (2011). Emergency department triage: An ethical analysis. B MC Emergency Medicine, 11(1), 16–29.
- Guidet, B., Hejblum, G., & Joynt, G. (2013). Triage: What can we do to improve our practice? Intensive Care Medicine, 39(11), 2044–2046.
- Kangasniemi, M., & Haho, A. (2012). Human love – The inner essence of nursing ethics according to Estrid Rodhe. A study using the approach of history of ideas. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, 26(4), 803–810.
- Gastmans, C. (2013). Dignity-enhancing nursing care: A foundational ethical framework. Nursing Ethics, 20(2), 142–149.
- Domagala, S. E., & Vets, J. (2015). Emergency nursing triage: Keeping it safe. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 41(4), 313–316.
Course Library Guide
A Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the BSN-FP4006 – Policy, Law, Ethics, and Regulations Library Guide to help direct your research.
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have been either granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
- American Nurses Association. (2015). Ethics and Human Rights. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/nursi…
- American Nurses Association. (2016). Position statement: The nurse’s role in ethics and human rights: Protecting and promoting individual worth, dignity, and human rights in practice settings. Retrieved from https://www.nursingworld.org/practice-policy/nursi…
- Vigil, J. M., Alcock, J., Coulombe, P., McPherson, L., Parshall, M., Murata, A., & Brislen, H. (2015). Ethnic disparities in emergency severity index scores among U.S. veteran’s affairs emergency
- Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS
Your assignment woes ends here!
Who We Are
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Do you handle any type of coursework?
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
Is it hard to Place an Order?
1. Click on the “Order Now ” on the main Menu and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the “PAPER INFORMATION” section and the system will calculate your order price/cost.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
100% Reliable Site. Make this your Home of Academic Papers.
Always Order High-Quality Academic Papers from HERE
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
We will process your orders through multiple stages and checks to ensure that what we are delivering to you, in the end, is something that is precise as you envisioned it. All of our essay writing service products are 100% original, ensuring that there is no plagiarism in them. The sources are well-researched and cited so that it is interesting. Our goal is to help as many students as possible with their assignments, i.e. our prices are affordable and services premium.
Your assignment woes ends here!